Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Name-Dropping Legacy

I come from a family of name-droppers. Maybe we're always looking to catch a glow off of someone, even if it's someone who served on the Tennessee Valley Authority. Yep, that was my great-grandfather, former city councilman of Knoxville, TN. Look, we'll take what we can get.
My late grandfather, Joe, had ties with many politicians. He was the campaign manager for Estes Kefauver back in the 1930s. He married into a political family, and the rest is history.

I remember going over to my grandparents' house one afternoon to find a group of New Orleans' finest huddled around the new big screen TV, watching a boxing match. I was only allowed to walk across the room during a commercial. Rules is rules.
Seated on the couch was Dutch Morial, then mayor of New Orleans. I used to think that Memorial Day was in honor of him (hence, Mayor Morial Day). Somehow, I knew that celeb spottings such as this were meant to be cherished and not squandered. I took this opportunity to get Dutch to brush my hair for me. There I was, in the middle of a bunch of yelling guys in their 60s, getting bounced around from famous paunch to famous paunch.

In 1999 , I went to Albuquerque to see Rick Springfield. Seeing Rick in his 50s was no less titillating. When he came back the next year to play the New Mexico State Fair, I decided that I was going to get backstage. Actually, the story about how I got back there is a much better blog than this one (I must pace myself). Anywho, Rick and I spoke briefly about how he manages to stay so young-looking. Maybe it's smacking his wife after she throws jars of olives at his head, but more likely it's his avoidance of sunlight.
But really what I am most proud of is that I've laid hands on Don Meridith, Ludacris and Andre Benjamin. I hassled Magic Johnson in Florence, Italy, back in 1995. And, I most recently hassled Whitney Houston in front of the door at Houston's in Century City. I was trying to make conversation with her, and she looked a little frazzled. I was lucky that I didn't get slapped. Bobbie Brown was circling, and it seemed they had had an intense dinner. Everything those two do is intense.

I must get my name-dropping bug from my Dad. To sum up his celebrity/politico run-ins...he shot hoops with Lew Alcindor (later known as Kareem Abdul Jabar) and he dated Carol Klein (later known as Carol King) who lived in the same apartment building in Brooklyn. My late Uncle Beast claimed to have dated her in one of his blogs. I tend to believe him over my Dad. What I really cannot believe is that she would go out with both of them.
According to my Dad, he also dated some actresses that none of you have ever heard of - though one of them appeared on an episode of Taxi. I remember when my whole family was gathered around the tube for that one. My Dad's first cousin was on several commercials for Sears and had a cameo appearance on one of my favorite episodes of Threes Company. Remember when Jack had to take a bunch of tranquilizers so he could fly on a tiny plane to attend a party on Catalina Island? He wound up acting a fool for my Dad's cousin who was a hot blonde in a red sequined gown.
Over the years, Dad's met the likes of Alexander Haig and, two Thanksgivings ago, found George McGovern asleep in a car in his next-door neighbor's driveway. It turns out, George was locked out of the neighbor's house which belongs to the widow of WWII historian Steven Ambrose. The most recent reason to brag is that he supposedly had lunch with Brad and Angelina, who were eating breakfast at one of his favorite hang-outs. When he told me the news, I asked him to define "having breakfast with." Others might just say that they happened to have breakfast at the same restaurant where there had been a Brad and Angelina sighting.

My brother, Augie, has had an on-again-off-again thing with Jesse Jackson. Working in and around the Democratic Party, Augie has rubbed elbows with loads of politicos. About five years ago, Jesse singled Augie out, told him he looked different, and pondered aloud that it must be his new beard. "A Hymie looks nice with a black beard!" No, he didn't really say that...but you know it was on the tip of his tongue.

My mom, also a notorious name-dropper, has an impressive resume - well, depending on your standards. She dated an NBA basketball legend, Rick Barry, during her short stint at University of Miami. My brother, being a serious sports fan, used to always say that he wished that things would have worked out between the two of them, so that he would be the son of NBA royalty instead of a wacky sports-hating art-collector. Mom also went out with a former Saints player, Steve Stonebreaker, back in the late 90s. Augie was only mildly impressed. We had grown weary of Zulie's dating escapades. All I can remember about him was that he was really tall with a bad mustache. I hope she never had to kiss him. I say that, but I can't be mean about him. I think he committed suicide not too long ago. When she worked at Circle Gallery, she had the opportunity to meet Charlie Watts, along with a few other big deal peeps.

Oh, top this - while my parents were still married, they partied on a yacht with Jimmy Buffet!

And the list goes on. Anyone else care to post their own run-ins with semi-celebs in my comments section? Feel free.

No comments: