Thursday, October 18, 2007

Goodbye Amma


I returned today from Amma's funeral. Amma was my 87 year old grandmother. I wrote a eulogy replete with jokes and sweet memories of all of our years with her. I salted a few members of the audience so that my jokes wouldn't fall flat. This was the first time I had ever delivered a eulogy. I was sort of nervous and worried that my voice would quiver and that I'd be a puddle by the end of the first page. Things went surprisingly well. I have a Southwest Airlines flight attendant to thank for some coaching. I met this particular flight attendant on the flight from Phoenix to New Orleans. He appeared too old and well-spoken for the job. Turns out he was a rabbi in a Reformed congregation in Phoenix for 30 years before he fulfilled his lifelong dream of becoming a flight attendant. He informed me that his salary is the same (low triple-digits, in case you're curious). It's just that now he doesn't have to deal with Jews complaining about his sermons for a living. He cracks dumb jokes in front of the cockpit and pours diet cokes. Look for a balding man with the last name Pinkwasser the next time you're on Southwest.

I'm feeling good about the send-off we gave Amma. It was a simple grave-side funeral. The young rabbi, Uri, who presided had all of us shoveling dirt over her grave. I've never seen Augie (my brother)do that much physical labor. My uncle, Norman, was clutching his chest after 4 feet of earth covered her pine coffin. Amma would've said, "Isn't this what we paid the funeral home for? "The rabbi did the symbolic tearing of our clothing; for the ladies, it was a ribbon pinned to our lapels. We cried when my mom yelled "Goodbye Mom," down into the grave. All of our speeches included imitations of Amma's high-pitched thick southern accent.
Augie's speech involved a prop: an oatmeal cookie. Light rain fell as we walked away from the grave. God's tears, according to Uri.
I've said goodbye to a lot of loved ones over the past few years. This whole cycle of life thing is proving to be true. I guess I'm not getting out of here alive either. But in the meantime -
happy Halloween, keep in touch, and make your friendship with me a huge priority.

No comments: